Explore how we advance open and collaborative practices in science
At the LBG Open Innovation in Science (OIS) Center, we investigate and experiment with open and collaborative practices in science along the entire process to originate new scientific research and innovation. We do not see openness and collaboration as ends in themselves, but as potentially powerful means for improving the novelty, efficiency, and societal impact of scientific research.
The OIS Center is part of the Ludwig Boltzmann Gesellschaft (LBG), a non-university research organization with a thematic focus in medicine and the life sciences as well as the humanities, social and cultural sciences and is funded by the National Foundation for Research, Technology and Development (Österreichische Nationalstiftung für Forschung, Technologie und Entwicklung).
Through our research on OIS, we study and disseminate the role and value of Open Innovation practices applied to science, critically investigating for instance the challenges they raise as well as the contingencies and antecedents necessary for their success.
Our support services and our resources support Austrian researchers and research organizations to re-think and re-design their research to work more openly, collaboratively and interdisciplinarily. In particular, we offer support to involve stakeholders outside academia as co-creators at different stages of the research process, to generate novel research questions and methods, generate innovation and unfold the societal impact of research.
- Funding schemes, accompanied by embedded facilitation and support services
- Individual and institutional consultation
- Support, advice and training in all matters relating to research ethics in participatory research and social science approaches in health research, as well as formal ethics review for selected projects
- Strategic partnership for Austrian research institutions to create infrastructures and resources to involve societal actors in research in their organizations
- Capability building for researchers and institutions
- Different kinds of resources
If you have questions about our offers, contact directly our implementation team.
Our Implementation Expertise
The identification of priorities for research together with citizens, patients and other relevant stakeholders.
Patient and Public Involvement
The involvement of citizens, patients and stakeholders as co-researchers along the research process, in order to promote socially relevant research.
The strategic impact planning and continuous impact reflection, steering and assessment of research projects, to unfold the societal impact of research.